Tuesday, February 5, 2013

2 Research Books

First of all, my topic is being bilingual in the marketing career. When searching through the library's catalog for books on my topic, there were two books that stuck out from the lists above the rest. One book was called "Undergraduates in a Second Language" written by Ilona Leki and the other book was called "Bilingual Life and Reality" written by Francois Grosjean. At a first look of each book in the library catalog, it seemed as if each could help me research more into my topic in some way. However, after reading some of each of the two books and further understanding more of what each book was about, there was only one that I found could help me. The first book, "Undergraduates in a Second Language" was more about people who spoke one language, and had English as their less fluent language (i.e. immigrants and international students). Also, it only referred to these students in their English writing courses, which is not what I was looking for at all. The second book called "Bilingual Life and Reality" had a more on target topic of what I was looking for. The book basically put bilingual people into real life situations, and explained the different circumstances in which it was a great convinience to speak a second or third language. Although the author of the book did not actually apply bilingualism to the marketing world directly, putting great examples of when, where, and how being bilingual could benefit a person in a situation helped me to realize that it would be a smart idea to maybe minor in a second language. It seemed as if being bilingual helped out a lot, and would most likely greatly benefit a person going into the marketing career. Even though the second book was not directly related to my topic, it could still be helpful in my researching by using the examples and circumstances given!     

1 comment:

  1. I really like your topic and I think it is very interesting. I think its good that you read a little of the books and decided which one was best so you didn't waste your time with a book that couldn't help you.

    ReplyDelete