Wednesday, February 27, 2013

In Class Post #7

The two databases I examined today were ERIC (at EBSCOhost) and ABI/INFORM COMPLETE (at Proquest). My groups topic is bilingual, and my individual topic if marketing. Therefore, the two words I chose to search for were bilingualism and marketing. Although most information was of the same sort, I did find some different varieteies of information throughout my search. For the most part, the abstracts of articles I read from ERIC included articles about British students giving a presentation to French people, the relationships between bilingual and marketing from women in two different countries, and the relationship between bilingualism and international trade. This database did not give me any subject filter options. However, when looking at the database ABI/INFORM COMPLETE, there were many subject filters given: bilingualism, studies, hispanic americans, target market, marketing, advertising, consumer behavior, and many more. The inforamation from the article abstracts of this database included codeswitching, effects of using a second language in the brain process, and how when translating a marketing message, it might not have the same meaning. Each databaseincluded information on the relationship between bilingualism and marketing, but had different approaches to the topic. I felt that these databases gave more direct information to my search topic, and was more helpful. It narrowed down the results to a lot less than the other day.  Using each database would differ for the assignment or topic. However, I would definitely use the two databases my group looked at today for my research because they had very helpful information related to my research topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment