Sunday, February 24, 2013
Filter Bubbles
I believe that filter bubbles can be good, but can also not help you too much at the same time. The filters only give you results based on the information the filters think is what you're looking for, when in reality may not be exactly what you were wanting to search for. if you were searching for non-academic information, then the filters would definitely be helpful. However, when it does come to academic researching, research usually requires looking through mostly all and any information to make sure you get the best research of all the information needed for your topic. if filter bubbles are present, it will only show sites such as most recently viewed and visited or only the supporting sites of your information. This limits a person to finding the most accurate and best information for their research. By popping the filter bubbles, this might greatly help a persons research. I can definitely see how each of the ways explained to pop the filters(burning cookies, deleting history, making information more private, ect.), can benefit the reseacher greatly. I believe it would be a good idea to try these in the future to help with my researching and not limit me to certain sites.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This is an intresting topic to learn about, for I had never heard of a filter bubble until now. This topic explained that sites, search engines, and the government can access our infomation through a variety of things. We must be mindful moving forward of this and using the techniques to avoid this.
ReplyDeleteI thought the same as you; I think that a filter bubble can be good if you are only researching one side or opinion of a topic, but once you want to try to start looking at the big picture, filter bubbles would do more harm than good. They might discard or hide information you need.
ReplyDeleteI agree with pretty much everything you said. Before this video, I had no clue anything like filter bubbles even existed. I, too, think that they could end up being beneficial to someone who is just browsing the web for non-academic purposes, but I cant see them being of much benefit when trying to do research.
ReplyDelete