Monday, February 18, 2013
Research Question
My group's topic is people that are bilingual. We can all relate this topic to each of our majors, which range from education, pre-nursing, and business. My research question is, What are the main advantages of being bilingual in the marketing career? Each person in my group is examining the main advantages of being bilingual in their desired career field, so my research question relates very well. I developed my research question because since marketing is my major, I wanted to look further into the aspects that could help me get a job in the future. Bilingual applies to this inquiry because I might find it extremely helpful to minor in a second language to benefit my job search after college. I did not find too much new information while pre-researching, but I did find a good amount of information that would greatly help me with my topic. Therefore, there is no need to revise my research question becasue it is strong and there is plenty information on my topic. The two points I will be discussing in my paper are the benefits of a person being bilingual in the marketing world opposed to someone who was not bilingual.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This is an awesome overall research question for your group! I love how you guys were able to relate your careers into your individual papers and will be able to learn more about what you are interested in. It sounds like your project will be very organized and I can't wait to hear about it because I am also a business major and it will be interesting to learn.
ReplyDeleteI am a marketing major as well, so I think I could probably benefit from the research that you guys are doing as well. Being bilingual is a skill that is very rare, and I definitely think that you are right in saying that it could probably help you get a job in the future. Overall, I think you guys have a good topic to research.
ReplyDeleteI think that it is really cool that your research question actually goes along with your major and benefits you. My group chose a random topic that doesn't really help me in my major at all so it's neat that your groups project aids all of you.
ReplyDeleteI really like your group’s topic and how you were all able to relate it to your majors. I think that being bilingual in general is a great skill to have. I also think it will be a great advantage to any career because when you are able to speak multiple languages, you will be able to transact business with a variety of customers.
ReplyDeleteYou did not mention what second language you would like to become fluent in. I however would recommend AGAINST both Spanish and French. The reason being is there are already many people that are fluent in one or even both of those languages. These courses are even commonly taught in high school. I would instead recommend learning a lesser known language, such as Russian, Arabic, or Japanese.
ReplyDeleteBeing fluent in one or more of these languages makes you "special" by setting you apart from the rest of the crowd. I concede they are difficult languages to learn. But since you mention that being bilingual would be an advantage to offer potential employers in future job searches, I as one of those employers doing an interview would see someone who has learned Russian, Arabic, or Japanese as a second language as someone who is willing to work harder than the average person.
The goal in "building skill sets" should always be, to be completely different, and unique, from the rest of the crowd or you or no better than they are. I would also guess there is a large marketing potential to these countries and cultures for those that can speak their language